Friday, June 16, 2006

Top Ten Reasons I know It's time to Leave #7

When random people speak to me in fast Bengali (usually to get me out of their way, not do something, or being otherwise bad tempered), instead of listening (and figuring out what they are saying) and responding in my Bad Bengali or polite English. I start behaving in the manner of "the Bad American tourist" (a stereotype generally fight against) and respond in fast English.

I've also started cursing under my breath (and not so under my breath) those taxi drivers and auto-wallas who don't want to take me on my short rides or try to charge me overprice. (Like the taxi driver today who refused to drive me to the office with the parcel I was sending [a 20 Rs ride] and the other one who wanted 50 Rs because of my parcel)

No comments: