Wednesday, November 09, 2005

"Go take rest"

I am constantly amazed a how people here react to someone not feeling well, namely me. When I was ill in Namibia, people treated me about the same as people in the states do: only as a second thought. An offer of a Tylenol, or casual suggestion to go home was the greater extent of the concern. The whole affair was mainly low key.

Here, everything seems much more crucial. Everyone will suggest seeing a doctor, medication to take, foods that will promote healing, or check to see if I have a fever. At the least they will tell me to "Go take rest," and not over extend myself.

I always say what cities have the most of shows something about the people who live there. US cities have places to buy food every few feet. Kolkata has pharmacies, go figure.

No comments: