Sunday, September 18, 2022

So I'm Writing a Thing Part 4- The Library

We looked around at the plain but opulent foyer.  John Michaels staunchly refused to give up his hat to the hat-rack, insisting that it was apart of his “look cultivated especially for the occasion.”  The butler gave up after the third offer.  My heels echoed as we were led down a plain hallway of dark wood to an extensively large library.  It wasn’t quite out of Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” but it was large.  Floor to ceiling book cases lined a large L shaped room.  There was overhead inset lighting at every bookshelf lighting up every title.  Window box seats with deep red cushions that were just perfect for cozying in with a good book on a rainy day were under each window.  There was even little directional lights on each side of the windowsill and small tables to set your tea on.  The shelves had classics such as Shakespeare and Arthur Conan Doyle as well as Turman Capote and Roger Harrington.   There was even the last set of Encyclopedia Britannica published in 2010.  All of the books appeared immaculate in hard back and most were leather-bound. 

We couldn’t quite see the short side of the L as we walked in.  There was a circle of seating in the center with stained glass lamps again in shades of grey from white to black every few seats.  No two chairs were the same, there was: a hard straight backed chair, a kneeling ergonomic chair, a Queen Anne’s chair, a chintz arm chair, a layzboy,  a papasan, a chaise, a pouf, a saddle stool, a classic office chair, a bean bag, a bar chair, and what appeared to be an African ceremonial stool.  We all stood awkwardly staring at the seating when the butler said “Please have a seat.”  Mr Yardley had to have so little company that this seating was collected from all over the house.  

John Michaels wasted no time sitting in the Queen Anne’s Chair tucking his feet underneath, and getting his recording equipment, notebook and pen ready.  The rest of us looked at each other unsure of where we should be sitting.  Mary who had rung the door bell chose the chintz arm chair and perched herself on the edge.  All of us seemed to be carefully avoiding the African Stool; I wasn’t entirely sure it was supposed to be in this collection.  Linsey, who preferred to go by Star Flower,  in flowing skirts and knitted cardigan chose the papasan.   They had long blonde hair with two dreads held back by a lace headband.  I had thoughts and feelings about the dreads, but Star Flower obviously had tried to dress to this occasion.  I sat on the pouf,  used to sitting lower  due to the weekly story times at the library.   I was thankful that the pouf was pretty sturdy and didn’t sink with my weight.  It was actually quite comfortable. I figured others needed the more traditional seating, and it was next to the saddle stool.  Nathaniel had back problems since we were kids and  I figured the saddle stool would be great for his back.  

 However Nathaniel wasn’t looking for a seat at all.  He was still staring at the different books on the shelves and working his way around to the short side of the library.   I leaned back and took in the whole view.  The short side of the L seemed to be more of the same floor to ceiling bookshelves in dark wood.  There was a small circular table at the end of the hallway next to a door that presumably lead to the rest of the house.  It appeared to have several white bottles  on it.  The bottles were nondescript and seemed to be the size of shampoo bottles.   Now that I looked there were many more on the bookshelves  around the small table.    I looked back at all of us in the  circle, almost everyone had a seat by this point.  Some has switched seats due to comfort or positioning. 

“Master Yardley is just attending to some business and will be in shortly,”  the buttler stated in  clipped tones. “ He apologizes for not being ready to attend at your arrival.  However, to be respectful of your time, Master Yardley would like you to introduce yourselves to each other.  He has specially placed a camera so that he will not miss an introduction.” The butler gestured to a camera clipped to a high bookshelf.  We waved, some hesitantly, some enthusiastically and some in a way that was reflective of 2+ years of zoom meetings.   The invitation had specifically asked us to RSVP with evidence of full vaccination, boosters and negative tests 72 and 24hrs before, as it requested that we be mask free.  I figured this was all to add more to ‘the mystique of Brian Yardley.’   John Michaels was alternately waving enthusiastically and taking notes.


We were all seated save Nathaniel who was still inspecting the shelves on the short part of the L. Mary went first.  I wasn’t sure if she was the eldest but as one of our Eastonville city counsel members seemed to always take the reins of any situation, from ringing a doorbell to ordering brunch.  

“I’m Mary Weathers.  Most of you know I sit on our city counsel, but what you may not know is I found the Duloc Elders’ Club a fan club for those of us who already had a fair amount of wisdom and years, but were always ready to gain more.”  She adjusted her glasses and patted her grey curls which had not moved from where they had been pulled back from her brown eyes as she nodded to the camera and smiled. 

With barely a moment in between John Michaels broke in “John Michaels of the Eatonville Gazette and can I just say I am so honored to be invited here for this grand occasion. Liar’s of Duloc changed my life.”  All of this spilled out in rapid succession while he was awkwardly twisted around in his chair to see the camera and wave around the high back of his royal chair.  

“I guess I’ll go next,” rumbled Mike. “Michael Duddley, but most of you all know me as Mike.” Mike was contractor who had worked on most of our houses.  He did excellent work despite being pretty much the only contractor in town.  Dressed in his typical jeans and a white botton down shirt with the sleeves rolled up.  It looked like he just stepped of a site; knowing him he probably did. “I’m not sure why I was invited.  I read the book when I was a kid and I liked it.” I noticed he was perched on the bar chair which was probably how he was most comfortable.  Perched higher looking over things and feeling like he should be at the bar instead. 

“I’m Sanjay Patel.  I think I’m here because I was almost cast as an extra when they made the movie.”  This was a fact he had let none of us forget.  Long after we left the EDLC they decided to make a TV mini-series and Eatonville was not only inspiration but cheaper to shoot in than any other major location. There was an open casting call for extras, but most of those casted were from larger nearby cities.  Sanjay never let us forget that he made it in to the second call back. He was swiveling in the office chair with the kinetic energy he seemed to keep since he was 5.  We were all surprised that he wasn’t diagnosed with ADHD.

“I go by Star Flower, and I have always felt very aligned with certain characters . . .” They continued to introduce themselves and looked back around for Nathaniel who still hadn’t taken a seat.  He was closely inspecting the books on the selves combing each title. I tried to signal to him to come sit but he was engrossed.  I turned back to the group as  Charles Wiggans began to introduce himself.  

“I’m Charles Wiggans the Fourth of the Wiggans Estate. . . “  I tuned him out.  This elderly white man had some of the oldest money in Eatonville and therefore relatively powerful.  However, his antiquated ways and the fact that his family historically owned some of the other families in Eatonville made him generally and specifically unliked.  Ms Mary’s lip curled only slightly throughout his entire introduction and I only hoped my face was as neutral.  But I could feel that it wasn’t.  

As Stephen Clark began his introductions I heard a sound from the far side of the L.  It was something between a gasp and a cry and it could only come from Nathaniel.  I looked around in concern as I caught Nathaniel hurrying through the side door.  Janine sitting next to me leaned over as surreptitiously as she could from the chaise and asked where Nathaniel was going. 

“He’s going to the bathroom, he asked when we first came in,”  I responded, not knowing but feeling like it was important that I made his actions normal.  I tried to not show my concern.  He had been acting strangely since the invitation and it seemed to escalate each moment.  I could feel his anxiety rolling off of him in waves.  But he wanted to come and be here.  I was worried, but tried to reassure Janine.  She was both the consumate mom but also the town gossip.  I didn’t want to set off rumors.  

No comments: