Friday, May 06, 2022

So I'm Writing a thing Part 1 - The Opening

 Preface - So this is based on a dream and has spiraled into a much longer story- 


The Opening 


Everyone knows my town, Eatonville.   We’re only famous because of the story The Liars of Duloc., a YA novel published in 1985.  It was so poplar that it was on the New York Times best seller list for nearly 3 months.  Yardley the author lived in the outskirts of town where the cornfields take over the suburban wasteland.  He based it his story about four kids who ended up taking over the town after taping into some “ancient Native American magic”. It was based on one 12yr old who ran ran for mayor due to a loophole in the law.

It was an AMAZING story, all about youth, truth, values, culture.  It hit us all in the 80’s and reverberated through the 90’s.  The physical book actually still has a 1-2 person waiting list in the library.  I remember shortly after I became an junior librarian at the Eatonville library when we finally retired our original edition for a 2000’s reprinting. Most kids now get the digital book or audiobook.  I can’t believe it was the same reader who did Harry Potter years before he won a Grammy.  

We were ecstatic when we found out he was writing a pre-quel.  Brian Yardley had always been a bit of an enigma.  I mean few people have an amazing best selling YA novel and then just walk away and never write again. I mean he was no Anna Sewell.   We all knew he was healthy and well; we saw him in town every few weeks.  But it was like he wrote his epic and never wrote again. 

Until now.  I was so excited when I saw the news release.  Even more so when I got the invitation to a private book reading at his house as the head Eatonville librarian.  This is a book that had changed the lives of so many kids.  Helped them achieve their dreams.  They often shared it with their parents to help them understand.  I was hoping it wouldn’t be another Harper Lee or Tomas Harris situation.  There had been so much anticipation around continuing the story only to have the stories completely warp beloved characters.  Yes even Hannibal Lecter is well loved.

No comments: